dijous, de març 08, 2007

Visible, invisible

Visible, invisible

Just yesterday I was doing my usual round of sitting and letting time pass by at Starbucks’, and I observed a number of things: firstly, there’s definitely a problem with the toilets there. I’ve noticed that no one really knocks on the door in they see it closed. At first I thought, what ever happened to manners, didn’t their mothers teach them that it’s compulsory to knock before opening a door? But then I realised that perhaps, when Mexicans think of American franchises and their settings, maybe they think all of them are like McDonald’s or Burger King, where there’s at least two cubicles with toilets inside, and by analogy, consumers think that it will be the same at the Starbucks. Curious, ha?

And then, I tend to think of myself as rather invisible, explaining myself better, I’ve grown accustomed to have the view that because of my rather ungracious looks, I’m the kind of person most everyone won’t be drawn to speaking with, or that will cause somebody’s curiosity. Of course it’s a severe case of heavily-guarded self-view, which of course is rather bad for it’s not helping for my own personal development. Anyways, the point I want to make is that actually someone did talk to me, and was very interesting and humbling because I realised how greatly prejudiced I am towards people. Maybe I’m the one who doesn’t speak to people because of the way they look, which is really a shame and something to work on.

Anyhow, I was sitting there and a Serbian acquaintance of mine called me up and asked about the Balkan entries for Eurovision 2007, being the big fan I am of the contest I replied enthusiastically and in full detail. Such deed required me of speaking more than a few words in the language and stuff. Upon finishing my call, the boy next to me started a conversation. I had noticed him earlier, he looked like one of those teens from exclusive private schools, and with the attitude that sometimes goes with them, so I paid no further attention to him, but then there he was. He asked me what kind of language is that that I was speaking. I mentioned that it was Serbian, but he looked perplexed, and asked me if I could explain to him what it was. I did give him a short lecture on the subject and I thought that would be the end of it. He looked very interested in the topic and thanked for explaining him the thing.

But then he went on and asked me what I did for a living, and then I ended up helping him with his homework, for the kid was taking Art History at school and hating it. I think he was 17. And later came the most interesting, he had with him a Buddha image a teacher of his had given him, he said it looked cool but couldn’t understand it. I offered to explain, and lectured then again. He seemed to have appreciated it even more. I found it difficult to explain, though succinctly, the Dharma to such a young man, but I think the message did come across. I was also happy that there’s still people receptive to other people regardless of their looks, or whether they know them or not. It was a stimulating hour and it made me very happy that I was able to broaden a bit the experience of that young man, in a totally altruistic manner.